A hearty vegan version of a usually ultra-meaty dish.
Cabbage, usually a garnish served on top of posole, becomes the star here. Both dried chiles and ground dried chiles provide a lot of the flavor in this dish. As with all posole, much of the appeal is in the toppings—offer a big range for people to make their cozy bowl their own. If you’re not concerned about the vegetarian/vegan angle of this dish, go ahead and use chicken broth. Print
- 4 ancho chiles
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 head savoy cabbage
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons New Mexico chile powder
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can hominy
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons Mexican oregano
- salt to taste
- 1 bunch radishes
- 6 green onions
- 1 avocado
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 2 limes
- Hatch Chiles: roasted, peeled, and chopped
- Tortilla chips or tortilla strips
- Seed the chiles: and tear them into pieces; put them in a bowl, cover with boiling water, and set aside. Peel and halve the onion; cut it into thin slices. Peel and mince the garlic. Core and halve the cabbage; cut into thin slices (it will fall apart into shreds).
- Heat a large pot over high heat; add the cumin seeds and cook, shaking the pan, until toasted, about 2 minutes. Add the oil, onion, and salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onion soft-ens, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cabbage and cook, stirring fre-quently, until the cabbage wilts a bit, about 5 minutes. Add the chile powder and stir to combine. Drain the chiles, reserving the soaking liquid, and add the soaked chiles to the pot along with the broth. Bring to a boil.
- Drain and rinse the hominy: and add it to the pot along with the bay leaves. Reduce the heat to maintain a steady simmer and cook until the vegetables are very tender and the flavors blend, about 15 minutes. Add the oregano and add salt to taste.
- Prepare the toppings: while the posole cooks, prepare the toppings you want to use: trim and slice or dice the radishes; trim and slice the green onions; peel and chop the avocado; chop the cilantro; cut the limes into wedges.
- Serve: the posole in big bowls with the toppings for diners to add as they like
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: soup
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 8
Keywords: posole, cabbage, vegan