Although usually served alongside sushi, pickled ginger is a perfect match for briny oysters as well. For this recipe we finely dice shallots and pickled ginger to make a quick granita garnish. Print
- 3 Tablespoons minced shallots
- 3 Tablespoons pickled ginger
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon sake
- Cracked black pepper
- Cilantro blossoms for garnish (optional)
- 2 dozen oysters – we used Kumamotos in this photo
- Finely dice the shallot and pickled ginger and add to the rest of the ingredients in a small flat freezer proof dish or plate. Grind a couple twists of black pepper on top. Freeze for about 20-30 minutes. Once the granita is frozen, scrape with a fork to loosen the mixture so it form it into crystals.
- Shuck the oysters and put on top of tray filled with crushed ice. Put the granita in a small bowl and serve alongside the oysters. Garnish each oyster with a cilantro blossom.
- Cuisine: CA