Dill and horseradish are a classic and time-honored combination, and the addition of crème fraiche brings all the flavors together. Try to use a variety of beets for this recipe, including golden and Chioggia, which results in an especially colorful presentation. Print
- 6 fresh dill sprigs
- Canola oil for pan-frying
- 6 to 8 small beets, variety of colors
- 1/2 cup crème fraiche
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- Lemon juice
- Fleur de sel
- Fresh ground pepper
- Heat 3/4 inch canola oil in a frying pan. Fry dill sprigs approximately 30 seconds, or until crisp, and drain on a paper towel.
- Just before frying, slice beets as thinly as possible with a mandoline. Keep the different colors of beets separated. Start with the golden beets, working your way up to the most vibrant red beets. Fry in a single layer, turning midway through, less than a minute total.
- Drain the fried beets on paper towels, and sprinkle with sea salt and fried dill.
- Combine the crème fraiche with horseradish and a squeeze of lemon juice, and thin with a bit of milk, if necessary. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the crispy beets with the crème fraiche dip on the side.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: California
- Serving Size: 4
Keywords: beet chips Dill Horseradish Créme Fraiche