This peach smash is our take on a summertime gin and tonic to help quench your thirst on the blistering hot days of summer!
- 1 very ripe peach
- 2 mint sprigs, plus more for garnish
- 2 teaspoons simple syrup
- 4 ounces botanical gin (such as St. George Botanivore)
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Soda water
- Quarter the peach and remove pit. Cut a couple of thin slices of peach to reserve for garnish.
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle the peach quarters, mint sprigs and simple syrup. Add ice, gin and lemon juice and shake for 30 seconds, until chilled. Taste for sweetness, and add a touch more simple syrup if needed.
- Pour into 2 double old-fashioned glasses or tumblers filled with ice. Top with soda water and garnish with reserved mint and peach.
Shopping: Look for peaches that are just firm, rich in color and unblemished. Firmer peaches should be stored on the counter, not in the refrigerator, which can make them mealy.
Drinking: Ripe peaches, on the other hand, can be refrigerated for a day or two or, better yet, muddled immediately into a summer cocktail!
Keywords: peach gin