These salmon cakes are flaky, tender and gluten-free since they’re made with dukkah spice instead of breadcrumbs.
- 1 1/2 lb salmon fillets, skin on and deboned
- 1 recipe Dukka Spice Mix
- 2 green onions, root ends trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1/4 white onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or basil
- Zest of 1 lemon, plus 1/2 lemon for squeezing;
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 Tbsp chickpea flour or 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs;
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Carrot–Sweet Onion Dressing (see below) or Greek yogurt for serving
- 1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- 2. Place the salmon fillets skin-side down in the pan. Bake until the fish turns light pink, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Once the salmon is cool enough to handle, peel off and discard the skin. Put a fresh piece of parchment in the baking pan.
- 3. Using two forks, flake the cooked salmon into small pieces and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the dukka spice, green onions, white onion, cilantro, lemon zest, egg, and chickpea flour. Stir to combine. Make small salmon patties, 2 1/2 in wide, using about 1/2 cup of the mixture per patty. Place the patties in the prepared baking pan. Cover with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes, or overnight, to help the patties firm up for successful frying.
- 4. When ready to cook, line a large plate with paper towels. In a large skillet, heat 2 to 3 Tbsp vegetable oil over medium-high heat until the oil begins to ripple. Carefully put two patties into the skillet and cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip the patties and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the patties to the prepared plate. Discard any browned bits from the skillet and repeat with the remaining patties, adding more oil and adjusting the heat as needed. Serve warm with a squeeze of lemon juice and a drizzle of dressing.
- Variation: Want to make a faster version of this recipe for dinner? Simply coat even-size salmon fillets with 1 tsp vegetable oil each. Rub the dukka spice on top and bake the fillets as directed. Remove the skin and serve whole with lemon wedges or the dressing.
Keywords: salmon patties