Peach season is here! Pair up some pork shoulder with your favorite stone fruits for a sweet and savory taco!
For the Pork:
- 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut into 2 pieces
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- ½ tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Aleppo pepper or ½ tablespoon red chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups water
For the Peach Relish:
- ½ cup shallots, slivered (1–2 large)
- 2 Fresno chilies, sliced in half and slivered
- ½ cup shaved fennel (1 small bulb)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 peaches, yielding 1½ cups when sliced
- Cilantro, small handful, chopped
- Warm tortillas for serving
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Combine the salt, pepper and Aleppo pepper in a small bowl. Coat the pieces of pork with the mixture and let sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- In a medium Dutch oven large enough to hold the pork, add the oil and heat until almost smoking. Brown the meat, one piece at a time, on all sides until deeply brown. Return all the pork to the Dutch oven. Add enough water to come halfway up the sides of the meat, about 3 cups. Bring to a simmer and cover with lid.
- Place in the oven and cook for 5–6 hours. If possible, flip the meat over halfway through cooking, but this is not essential. When finished, the pork will be falling-apart tender, and pull away easily with a fork.
- Remove from oven, and let the meat rest for 30 minutes or until ready to serve.
- While meat is resting, make the peach relish.
- In a medium bowl, combine the shallots, chilies, shaved fennel and lemon juice. Add a pinch of salt.
- Cut the peaches into quarters, and slice thinly, adding to the shallots as you go. Mix in cilantro, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Break the meat apart with a fork, removing any large pieces of fat, and transfer to a platter or bowl.
- Serve the braised pork and peach relish with warmed tortillas.
- Serving Size: 6
Keywords: braised pork peach